Thursday, May 20, 2004

DO NOT FORGET

I sat in a movie theatre
watching "Schindler's List,"
and asked myself,
"Why didn't the Jews fight back?"

I sat in a movie theatre
watching "Pearl Harbor,"
and asked myself,
"Why weren't we prepared?"

Now I know why.

Civilized people cannot fathom,
much less predict,
the actions of evil people.

On September 11,
thousands of innocent people were murdered
because too many Americans
naively rejected the reality
that some nations are dedicated
to the dominance of others.

Many political pundits, pacifists and media personnel
want us to forget the carnage.
They say we must focus
on the bravery of the rescuers
and ignore the cowardice of the killers.
They implore us to understand
the motivation of the perpetrators...

I will not be manipulated.
I will not pretend to understand.

I will not forget.

I will not forget
the liberal media
who abused freedom of the press
to kick our country
when it was vulnerable
and hurting.

I will not forget
that CBS news anchor Dan Rather
preceded President Bush's address to the nation
with the snide remark,
"No matter how you feel about him,
he is still our president."

And I will not forget
that ABC's Mark Halperin
warned if reporters weren't informed
of every little detail of this war,
they aren't likely
--nor should they be expected--
to show deference."

I will not forget
the attack on the USS Cole...

I will not be appeased
with pointless, quick retaliatory strikes
like those perfected by the previous administration.

I will not be comforted
by "feel-good, do nothing" regulations
like the silly,
"Have your bags been under your control?"
question at the airport.

I will not be influenced
by so called, "anti-war demonstrators"
who exploit the right of expression
to chant anti-American obscenities.

I will not forget
the moral victory handed the North Vietnamese
by American war protesters
who reviled and spat upon
the returning soldiers, airmen, sailors and marines.

I will not be softened
by the wishful thinking of pacifists
who chose reassurance over reality.

I will embrace
the wise words of Prime Minister Tony Blair
who told the Labor Party conference,
"They have no moral inhibition
on the slaughter of the innocent.
If they could have murdered
not 7,000 but 70,000,
does anyone doubt
they would have done so
and rejoiced in it?

There is no compromise possible
with such people,
no meeting of minds,
no point of understanding
with such terror.
Just a choice;
defeat it or be defeated.
And defeat it
we must!"

I will force myself to:
hear the weeping.
feel the helplessness.
sense the panic.
experience the loss.
remember the hatred.

I sat in a movie theatre,
watching "Saving Private Ryan,"
and asked myself,
"Where did they find the courage?"

Now I know.

We have no choice.

Living without liberty
is not living.


--Ed Evans, MGySgt., USMC (Ret.)

Re-posted from Mostly Cajun, All American, and Opinionated

Thanks Cajun! - Sailor

No comments:

Post a Comment